Re: Octave for MSVC 2005 build

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: Octave for MSVC 2005 build
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 19:52:13 +0100

As I already mentioned a couple of time, there's no official support anymore
to compile octave with MSVC. It is technically compilable, but you are on
your own if you want to do it. Look at the thread referenced by Tatsuro,
there are basically 2 approaches: either you create solution files, or you
rely on some MSVC wrapper that makes it look like GCC.

The latter is probably better, because it allows you to compile octave
using the normal build system. Moreover, this can also be used to compile
other software that octave relies on. As most of the components to compile
are auto-tools based, you'll also need a shell to run the shell scripts and
provide the required build environment. I recommend using MSYS.

Finally, you'll also need a Fortran compiler (to compile octave and/or
some dependencies). The easiest in this case is to use f2c to convert
Fortran to C and then use the regular C compiler.

Hope this helps.

Michael.