Re: printing plots in 3.2.2

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: printing plots in 3.2.2
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 07:42:13 -0500

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 6:30 AM, Ben Abbott<address@hidden> wrote:

> The scaling down of fonts is done by gnuplot. It should be possible to
> compensate and have octave double the point size of all fonts for
> eps-output, but I don't have the time right now.

Gnuplot scales down entire picture. I.e. if you do in gnuplot
plot sin(x)
set term post
set out "testpost.ps"
replot
set term post eps
set out "testeps.eps"
replot

The result will look the same if your postscript viewer scale
the picture to the same size (like, say, full-screen).
This is not the case if I do something like that in octave.
It appears to me the size of the picture gets enlarged w/o changing
size of the font. Then gnuplot scale down everything and
fonts become very small. The easiest fix -- do not use
"eps" option to gnuplot postscript terminal.

>> %%BoundingBox: 0 0 612 792
>>
>> I get standard letter-size page and the figure looks about right.
>>
>> (A4 pagesize would be 595 848, if I remember correctly)
>
> Ok, I had infered you were looking at the printed page, not the ps file
> itself.
>
> What software are you using to view the ps output?

This is an interesting conclusion. I look at the postscript output
with either "evince", convert to pdf using "epstopdf" and use acroread
to look at the resulting pdf file, or just use ghostscript directly:
"gs -sDEVICE=x11 test_psc2.ps"

I look at the postscript file header using vi (vim to be more specific).

A4 paper as far as I remember is 210mmX297mm
72*210/25.4 = 595
72*297/25.4 = 842
(rounded to integer)

But I do not understand, why are you arguing with me. Are you NOT seeing these
problems?

> Ben

Sincerely,

Dmitri.