Re: Package Install Errors

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Package Install Errors
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 17:39:19 +0900 (JST)

> --- Ron Crummett wrote:
>
> > Hi -
> >
> > I'm trying to install a few packages under 3.2.0.  Some of the packages
> > install fine, others give me an error like this one from the Linear Algebra
> > Toolbox:

> > couldn't create installation directory
> > /usr/lib/octave/packages/3.2/linear-algebra-1.0.8 : Permission denied
> > error: called from `pkg>copy_files' in file
> > /usr/share/octave/3.2.0/m/pkg/pkg.m near line 1473, column 13
> > error: called from:
> > error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.0/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 756, column 5
> > error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.0/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 287, column 7
> >
> > Again, I have installed some packages without problems, so I don't think
> > it's an issue of permissions.  Has anyone else had this problem, or does
> > anyone know what needs to change?  Thanks.

The pkg install command use temporary directory to extract a package,  carry
out configureation and
make binaries.

I suspect that your temporary directory does allow 'w' attribution.
Please type tmpnam at the octave prompt
octave>tmpnam

and get the name the temporary directory name

and confirm the attribution of the temporary directory
octave>ls -l (tmp diretoryname)/..

Regards

Tatsuro

Thanks 10 years!  Yahoo! Shopping and Yahoo! Auctions
http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/ec10years/