Re: Octave 3.2.2 for Ubuntu9.04?

From: Uwe Dippel
Subject: Re: Octave 3.2.2 for Ubuntu9.04?
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 12:26:16 +0800

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermos wrote:
If you want to mix Debian and Ubuntu packages, despite warnings of
possible instability, use apt. That is, add a source line for Debian
repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list and use apt to install them.

No, I don't 'want to mix' any packages!!
I want and need to get Eidors working, which did the trick as it seems until Octave 2.9 (or so). A friend of mine, on Windows, downloaded 3.2.2, and it failed miserably. Then he suggested I try on Linux, and I did, on Ubuntu 9.04, and it also failed, not quite as miserable. Then I headed here with the error messages, and was told that 'probably' 3.2.2. would not fail. So I have been trying since then to check this out, hoping it would not fail, but until now can't find a binary package nor install from source.

OMG, I'd say. Most projects with the size of Octave have regular updates and repositories of binaries available, the current version has been out - if I am not mistaken - for 3 months or more. Why does Octave not offer recent packages for widely used distributions? I am sure, it could attract quite a number of followers, if one didn't have to dig through sourcecode stuff, and compilation? And then some people wonder, when the year of 'Linux on the desktop' will finally be there; respectively, why it isn't yet. :(

And if it compiles, it would be rather simple, to make it into a .deb; as far as I remember. Did the same years ago for some software.

<end of rant>

Uwe