Re: Finding only some roots of a polynomial

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Finding only some roots of a polynomial
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 20:25:10 -0400

On Oct 8, 2009, at 7:58 PM, Pablo wrote:

Hi everyone!

I need to find the roots of some quite big polynomials (order ~800). The
root function works fine (and surprisingly fast!), but I don't think
it's the best tool forwhat I need. I'm only interested in those roots
with high absolute value, so after "roots" works hard to find the 800
complex values, I discard almost all of them.

Do you have any suggestion for an algorithm to do that?

I did find a book on the subject (McNamee - Numerical Methods for Roots
of Polynomials, Vol1 - 2007), and it suggest (I didn't read it
thoroughly, yet) that the companion method finds the roots one by one,
starting with the one with the largest magnitude. However, there are a
multitude of similar methods in the book.

Is Octave doing that?

Octave uses a different approach.

Octave constructs a matrix whose characteristic polynomial is the same as the polynomial whose roots are desired. The eigen values of that matrix are then solved for (which are equal to the roots of the characteristic polynomial).

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characteristic_polynomial

For info on how Octave calculates the eigen values, type "help eig" at Octave's prompt.

Ben