Re: The zooming capability disappears

From: Pablo
Subject: Re: The zooming capability disappears
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 20:24:25 -0400

Pablo wrote:
> Hi, everyone!
>
>   I'm having a few issues with the capability to use the mouse to zoom
> in plots. First I'd like to thank everyone that worked to restore it,
> since it's very useful for me. The problem is that sometimes that stops
> working, and the plots are not longer responsive to the mouse (or to
> other commands like 'g' for grid).
>
> The only way I can get it to work again is to close Octave (loosing all
> the variables I have defined) and restart it. I have tried using "close
> all" and "closeplot", with no results (other than learning that the
> latter is obsolete). I'm sure this is a bug that will be solved
> sometime, but since it's quite annoying, I'd like to know if there's any
> easy fix for now.
>
> Now, to the details:
>  - I use Debian Lenny on an amd64, Octave version 3.0.1 (1:3.0.1-6lenny3)
>  - I recently installed the CVS version of Gnuplot (gnuplot 4.5
> patchlevel 0, from 10/26/09) following this instructions:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Octave#Zooming in GNUPlot
>  - I still have the old version installed (packages gnuplot-nox and
> gnuplot-x11, version 4.2.2-1.2) so I may have messed up there.
>  - To get Octave to use the CVS version, I added
> gnuplot_binary('/usr/local/bin/gnuplot') to my ~/.octaverc
>  - Pressing 'h' still shows the gnuplot help, and pressing 6 (verbose)
> shows that commands like 'g' and 'u' (unzoom) are echoed, but there's no
> change in the plot. The ruler and <B2> still work, though.
>  - I noticed that when the plot is responsive, the axis is thicker than
> when it's not, FWIW.
>
> I don't really know what triggers the problem, and I can't seem to
> reproduce it with simple commands. I'm using an interactive script to
> analyze some data, and it's fairly long so I'm not sure where the
> problem is. If I'm able to pinpoint the problem, I'll send another
> email, but for now I'd like to know if there's a simple way to avoid
> restarting Octave.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>   Arnoques

Ok, I found the problem!
I was issuing the command clear all, from time to time, but now I found
out that it also clears the gnuplot_binary command to "gnuplot", causing
Octave to use the old version.

So, the fix is easy: either i don't "clear all", or I change
gnuplot_binary after I do.

Sorry for the noise!
  Arnoques