Re: Using octave runtime in a commercial product

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Using octave runtime in a commercial product
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 19:26:24 -0500

I think the key question is going to be:

Does the library A _only_ use the MEX interface?

Yes: Not a derivative.
No: Definitely a derivative according to the octave developers.

If you use any other octave headers (i.e. any binary interface or data
structure that does not also exist within Matlab), the developers of
octave consider the result to be a derived work of octave.

Additionally, there is the issue of how you are going to prevent the
customers from reading the contents of *.m files. I don't think octave
currently has any method to protect the contents of *.m files and
octave also does not currently have an equivalent to the matlab
compiler.

--judd