Re: CUDA acceleration in GNU Octave

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: CUDA acceleration in GNU Octave
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 09:19:15 -0800 (PST)

--- On Sat, 11/21/09, Thomas Weber <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Thomas Weber <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: CUDA acceleration in GNU Octave
> To: "Eric Chassande-Mottin" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Saturday, November 21, 2009, 2:26 AM

> acceleration scheme (for 2D FFT) on GNU
> > >
> > > Octave uses FFTW for FFT, so if your FFTW library
> uses CUDA, so does
> > > Octave.
> >
> > I don't think this is a correct statement.
> > fftw does not seem to support calls to GPU.
> > could you point me to a reference?
>
> I didn't say that FFTW supports CUDA. I said: *if* it
> supports it,
> Octave will benefit from it without further work.
>
> I have no idea about CUDA support in any library out there.
> I also don't
> think it makes much sense to create free software and then
> tie yourself
> to just one hardware vendor, but that's probably just me.
>
>     Thomas

Well, nobody prevents you from creating fast working non-free software
tied to one vendor :).

And my pretty non-exotic motherboard has on-board NVidia video chip.
OTOH, on top of my CRT monitor one can see an ATI-based graphics card :) -
used to work fine, but I do not need to graphics card at the same time.

Similar technology from AMD/ATI:

http://developer.amd.com/gpu/ATIStreamSDK/Pages/default.aspx
.

They mention 'Brook+' - the latter has been around for quite some time.
They have it for Linux:

http://developer.amd.com/gpu/acmlgpu/Pages/default.aspx ->
http://developer.amd.com/Downloads/acmlg1.0.tgz
.

Remember, "at home" (i.e. without redistribution) you can create and link
together whatever software.

WEB search returns many matches to "CUDA FFT library". Quick look into

http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/1_1/CUFFT_Library_1.1.pdf

shows interface similar to FFTW one.

Regards,
  Sergei.