Re: playaduio in octave 3.2.3

From: Sergei Steshenko
Subject: Re: playaduio in octave 3.2.3
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:09:47 -0800 (PST)

--- On Mon, 11/23/09, Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Jaroslav Hajek <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: playaduio in octave 3.2.3
> To: "Adrian pamin" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Monday, November 23, 2009, 5:19 AM
>

> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 6:39 AM,
> Adrian pamin <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> Im a little new to using octave and GNU systems but there
> seems to be a problem with the playaudio() function in the
> Octave 3.2.3 patch. When trying to use the playaudio(x) the
> error "The system cannot find the path specified."
> I have tried this in a Vista and Win XP system yielding the
> same results. Below is the code used:
>

> t = [0:1/8000:2]
> sig3 = 0.8*sin(2*pi*3*t)
> plot(t,sig3)
> playaudio(sig3)
>
> My friends and professor are stumped with this error as
> they can use the function without problems on a Linux and
> Mac OS. Is this possibly a Windows problem? would switching
> to a VM or dual booting help? Thanks in advance...
>

> I'm afraid the current playaudio is only designed to
> run on Unix systems, because all it does is send data to
> /dev/dsp or /dev/audio. There could probably be an
> alternative path for Windows, using a temporary wav file or
> something similar.
>

> hth
>
> --
> RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
> computing expert & GNU Octave developer
> Aeronautical Research and Test Institute (VZLU)
> Prague, Czech Republic
> url: www.highegg.matfyz.cz

'sox' works both on Linux and Windows and can accept data from stdin.

Under Windows sox' needs CYGWIN dll, but, I think, 'sox' is distributed in
binary for with the dll. I.e. in practical terms it behaves like regular
Windows console application - it doesn't need full fledged CYGWIN.

It might make sense to implement octave -> sox interface.

Regards,
  Sergei.