Re: Problem with ginput

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Re: Problem with ginput
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 19:16:16 +0100

On Dec 10, 2009, at 3:21 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:

> On Thursday, December 10, 2009, at 08:52AM, "Matthias Brennwald"
> <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Using the wxt terminal by issuing putenv("GNUTERM","wxt")
>>> it works
>>>
>>> octave> [x,y,b] = ginput(1)
>>> x =  5.1002
>>> y =  0.45119
>>> b =  1
>>>
>>> using the windows terminal it doesn't.
>>> I also see, that the windows terminal does *not*
>>> return after a mouse click, even when executing
>>> pause mouse any
>>> but only after a keypress.
>>>
>>> I see this in gnuplot 4.3.0-2009-07-08 CVS and in 4.4-rc1
>>>
>>> This looks like a gnuplot windows terminal issue.
>>>
>>> benjamin
>>
>> I tried your example with the wxt terminal, but I still get the same
>> behavior from ginput(...) on my Windows box.
>>
>> Matthias
>
> Please verify that you are using the ginput form Octave's core.
>
> What does "which ginput" say?
>
> If the version in Octave's core doesn't work, have you tried the one from the
> Octave-Forge plot package?

Aha!!! Here's what I did:
- I had the feeling that maybe I messed up with the Octave m-files when I tried
to apply the patch discussed earlier, so I uninstalled Octave and reinstalled
it completely. I did NOT choose to install any Octave-forge packages.
- I tried again, and this time ginput seemed to work. This is the Octave-core
ginput (as confirmed by which ginput).
- Re-reading my initial post I found that with my previously installed Octave,
the ginput I used was the one from the plot package.

So:
- The ginput from the plot package seems to have a problem.
- Why are there two different ginputs (One in Octave core, the other in Octave
forge)? This is at least confusing. But I think it's a rather bad idea to have
different commands with the same name, because code using such commands may not
work in the same on different machines (as was the case here).
- Is there a way to make sure (in my code) that the ginput from Octave core is
used, not the one from the plot package?

> I checked the gnuplot 4.3 manual, mousing with the Windows terminal should
> work. However, perhaps it is a good idea to verify. Please run gnuplot and
> try ...

I am a Windows noob. How do I run gnuplot on Windows?

> gnuplot> set term windows
> gnuplot> plot sin(x)
> gnuplot> pause mouse
> gnuplot> print MOUSE_X
> gnuplot> print MOUSE_Y
>
> Ben

----
Matthias Brennwald, Käferholzstrasse 173, CH-8046 Zürich, +41 44 364 17 03