Re: octave in multiprocessor cpu

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: octave in multiprocessor cpu
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 15:10:31 +0100

Carlo Sartori wrote:
> Hi
> I like to know if octave can use multiprocessor cpu. I have a Intel i7
> 720 CPU, Ubuntu see the 8 core correctly (4 real core with double
> processing for each one) but octave use only one at time. For me it is
> like if I have a cpu with only 800 MHz.
> thank for your answer
> Carlo

Octave itself is a single-thread application, however some numeric
libraries it uses can take advantage of parallel execution.
Two come to my mind: atlas and fftw. However, IIRC they must be built
as threaded libraries to utilize a multi-core cpu.

You can also take a look at parcellfun() - take a look at the
octave-forge mailing list.
There has also been some discussion about a MPI binding package.

Benjamin