Re: SVD, EIG and CHOL of a matrix

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: SVD, EIG and CHOL of a matrix
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 18:34:46 +0100

Hi,

On 19 Jan 2010, at 16:16, Alberto Frigerio wrote:

Hello world, I'm a neofite in Octave and I'm trying to find the eigenvalues /
eigenvectors, the singular value decomposition and the Cholesky
factorization of a square matrix A.
I've seen that Octave has functions for doing all these things, but I would see HOW they work. I tried to make the SVD using the QR decomposition of A, but in doing QR I got completely different results ... may someone help me?

Octave uses lapack routines for most of these tasks, for example for double precision, real, full matrices
SVD is performed via a call to the lapack routine 'DGESVD'
to find out what DGESVD does, you can inspect the source code:

http://www.netlib.org/lapack/explore-html/dgesvd.f.html
or read the lapack documentation:
http://www.netlib.org/lapack/lug/node53.html

To find this information I just went through the code of SVD.cc and dbleSVD.cc in the Octave sources. Assuming you are interested in algorithms for real double precision matrices, to find out about what is done for eigenvalues you should look at the files EIG.cc and eig.cc, while for Cholesky you should look at chol.cc and dbleCHOL.cc

Thanks in advance,
   Alberto

HTH,
c.