Re: mercator plot of earth with country outlines (eventually day/night t

From: lynx . abraxas
Subject: Re: mercator plot of earth with country outlines (eventually day/night terminator plot)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 21:22:34 +0100

On 28/01/10 11:18:10, Paul McDonald wrote:
> I'm sure this must have been done before (or something like this before)
>  and I'd prefer not to re-invent the wheel. Can anyone point me in the right
direction?
> Bonus if there's code (or equations) that plots  the  day/sunrise/dusk/night
terminator.

Hello Paul!

I  find  Your  problem  quite interesting but I don't have a real solution for
You. Recently I found this very informative page on cartography:
http://www.progonos.com/furuti/MapProj/Dither/TOC/cartTOC.html
Projections:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/topics/MapProjections.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Featured_picture_candidates/Projections
Maps and day/night:
http://xplanet.sourceforge.net/maps.php

Perhaps  that can help You a bit. Let me know if You succed. There are quite a
few programs out there that can reproject maps. I'm lacking the  time  at  the
moment for getting into this.

Regards,
Lynx