Re: Licensing of Octave Scripts

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Licensing of Octave Scripts
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 03:47:53 -0500

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Trevor Law <address@hidden> wrote:
> My name is Trevor Law and I'm looking to find out whether or not
> Octave scripts that I might share must be released under the GPL.
> Although I don't need them to be proprietary, the GPL is confusing for
> a non-lawyer, and seems to require that I post the Octave source code
> along with any script I post online, which seems unnecessarily
> cumbersome.

If you're having trouble understanding the GPL and its implications,
another option is to release your scripts under a simpler license that
is GPL-compatible such as the Modified BSD or MIT licenses. Even if
the entire work as a whole must be GPL, individual files and
components are only required to be GPL-compatible.

--judd