Set value to a custom significance. (no display)

From: Joris Spekreijse
Subject: Set value to a custom significance. (no display)
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 07:30:54 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I am trying to set my values in a specific significance. Format() is not a
good solution, it is still fixed in a predefined length. I want my values to
be stored (into memory) let's say with a significance of 2. Octave should do
then the following:

:> a = 0.499 / 2
a = 0.25

:> a * 2
a = 0.5

and not

:> a * 2
a = 0.49900 (assuming that format is set to short)

Is there a way to do this in Octave?
I tried something with
:> a = 0.499;
:> clear b;