Re: kernel density smoother?

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: kernel density smoother?
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:12:10 +0100

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 5:10 PM, forkandwait <address@hidden> wrote:
>> a good indication that people shouldn't
>> declare me the Octave-Forge leader). Concrete ideas on how to improve
>> the situation are, however, most welcome as it is a problem that
>> concerns me.
>
> I guess I may have been a little "flip" in my comments.  I am not sure strong
> leadership is necessarily the answer, though it might help.  What is great
> about Python is that there is a SINGLE, documented, well defined standard
> library.

It's basically the same with Octave, I think.

> This library grows steadily, but there is a discussion process before
> something makes it into the library, there are votes on where it goes, and
> then
> it is documented/ enforced / distributed at the same level as the language
> itself.  And whenever there is no clear consensus or the process gets bogged
> down, Guido reserves the right to declare by fiat what should happen.
>
> In this particular example, I would NOT have voted to have the kernel density
> smoother function in the econometrics package, but rather in either statistics
> or core. And I would have statistics ALWAYS distributed with the main package.

And I would vote against it. I think that it's better to have just the
basic statistical functions in core Octave.
We usually do sort of a ballot before making significant changes to
the core library. Last year, the finance & control pkgs were removed,
for instance.

> But I definitely think it belongs with a standard distribution of octave, and
> its code should be tracked in the main source.  Same with textread.

Textread is now part of Octave.

>  Same
> probably with csv2cell, after a process of deciding to put it into the
> standard
> library, even though the other large competitor doesn't have it in their
> distribution (which might be a criteria for inclusion).  Etc.

I don't know what it should do, but feel free to propose it to be included.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer