Re: Help resolving the following equation...

From: Thomas Shores
Subject: Re: Help resolving the following equation...
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:17:30 -0500

As a financial question, something is missing from your problem.  You don't mention a prevailing risk-free interest rate, so it's not possible to calculate the present value of this cash flow.  However, If you intend to find the prevailing interest rate that would make this a break-even investment, try the following

>fsolve(@(r) 200*(1+r)^3+300*(1+r)^2+400*(1+r)+500-1000*(1+r)^4,0)

If this investment is risk-free, I'd jump on it!