BASH Processes

From: Mike B.
Subject: BASH Processes
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 20:07:05 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,

I'm using Octave 3.2.4 in Debian. Two quick questionso on starting processes
with system:

1. When issuing
sleep 20 &

from the bash commandline it immediately returns to the prompt (runs in the
background) but when doing
system( "sleep 20 &" )

from octave it waits for 20 sec. before returning. Why is that?.

2. When starting a process in the background bash returns the process ID (PID),
for example:
sleep 20 &
[1] 20885

so 20885 is the PID. How can I read this output in octave?. The `system'
command returns a different PID (not of the actual process started).

Thanks,
Mike.

      Get your preferred Email name!