Re: OpenMP, OMP_NUM_THREADS and putenv - not working as expected.

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: OpenMP, OMP_NUM_THREADS and putenv - not working as expected.
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 21:59:57 -0400

On 19-Apr-2010, S ren Hauberg wrote:

| man, 19 04 2010 kl. 01:19 -0800, skrev coccoinomane:
| > Hi Soren!
| >
| > Thank you for your answer.
| >
| > > I hope you realise that Octave itself is not thread-safe.
| >
| > Does it mean that, in all cases, it is dangerous to run an oct-file with
| > OpenMP parallelization?
|
| No, but it means that we don't even attempt to give you any garanties.
| Many operations are probably already thread-safe, but if you want to be
| sure, you really need to look at the actual implementation.

If your function does some multi-threaded thing that is compltely
independent of Octave's internals, I would guess you are OK (assuming
the multi-threaded code you call is actually thread safe).  But if you
make calls back to the Octave internals, there are no guarantees as
the code in the Octave libraries is not thread safe.

jwe