Re: wind rose?

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: wind rose?
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 09:44:28 +0200

Ben Abbott wrote:
On May 29, 2010, at 5:52 PM, Vergil Weatherford wrote:

Does anyone know of a way to plot a polar wind rose using octave/gnuplot?  I
have hourly wind speed and direction data.

Thanks,
Vergil

I wasn't familiar with Wind Rose plots, so I looked it up.

        http://www.novalynx.com/reference-wind-rose.html

As Octave's doesn't handle polar plots in a nice way, I don't think there
exists a convenient method to produce such plots.

To use Octave for this purpose, you'll have to draw the polar axes and use
patch objects to produce the Wind Rose.

Ben
Matlabcentral has a routine for this

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/17748-windrose

but look at the discussion

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Mathworks-hosted-GPL-d-software-td1638533.html

and in particular the message

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Mathworks-hosted-GPL-d-software-td1638533i26.html

and then think about sending a message to the author (address@hidden) asking him to give you a copy without the terms of service restriction of mathcentral. Otherwise as someone copied it from mathcentral to

http://code.google.com/p/m--pack/source/browse/trunk/_graph/wind_rose.m?r=10

you can get it from there

D.