Re: Best way to create interactive GUI apps with octave?

From: Miguel Bazdresch
Subject: Re: Best way to create interactive GUI apps with octave?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:45:01 -0500

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Miguel Bazdresch <address@hidden> wrote:
> What is the best way to create interactive GUI apps with octave? For
> example, I would like to have a window with three sliders controlling
> the amplitude, frequency and phase of a cosine that is plotted below
> the sliders. The purpose would be to make visually attractive demos
> for my students.

Sorry about reviving this very old thread. I finally managed to get
gtk-server to work. I went with gtk-server since, among all suggested
options, it seemed to be the simplest to set-up and control from
inside an octave script.

Since it is not completely trivial to get to work, I put a
well-commented (IMO) demo here:

http://bitbucket.org/buo/octave-gtk-demo

I would like to suggest that, if somebody takes the time to write
similar GUI demos with some of the other alternatives (Gambas,
pyoctave, etc.), then we could put all demos together in a repository
somewhere; I think this would be a very useful resource. I'd be glad
to set up and maintain a bitbucket repo with the demos.

Also, I'd welcome any comments and improvements on my demo. In
particular, I would like to get the script to generate plots inside a
gtk canvas instead of on independent windows as it does now. This
shoud be possible but I still have no idea how.

--
Miguel Bazdresch