Re: video to SVG

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: video to SVG
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:40:47 +0100 (BST)

On 30-Jun-10 13:07:43, narendra sisodiya wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 6:26 PM, Marc Weber <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>> Excerpts from narendra sisodiya's message of Wed Jun 30 14:24:58 +0200
>> 2010:
>> > Hi, I am trying to work on a project for Video to SVG conversion.
>> > Basically, the classroom videos which has only one white-board and
>> > lines and curves can be compressed by converting into vector
>> > markup like SVG. All i need to find the curves and lines inside
>> > video/imaegs(frames)
>> >
>> > Any starting points if I use Octave to build this project. I have
>> > done some basic matrix manipulation on octave but I have not
>> > done any video or image processing using octave or any other tools
>>
>> Are you sure that Octave is the best tool for the task (maybe it is. I
>> don't know it very well). I'd just use ffmpeg (or mencoder or such) to
>> create many .jpg files from viedeo.
>
> video to image is not a problem.
> I want to manipulate at pixel level in an image to detect lines and
> curves inside that image and their increments

For converting a bitmap to a vector-graphics format, I'd suggest
looking at autotrace:

  http://autotrace.sourceforge.net

Quote:
  Here is a short description of currently supported formats:
  * Inputformats BMP, TGA, PNM, PPM, PGM, PBM and those supported by
    ImageMagick.
  * Exportformat Postscript, svg, xfig, swf, pstoedit, emf, dxf,
    cgm, mif, p2e and sk

It has been around for a good while. I've found that it works well
with hand-written material (e.g. I have used it to convert a scanned
image of my signature to an EPS file (outlines drawn by vector operat
ions, not as bitmaps) which I can plant in a letter composed on
computer), so it may well do for what was written on the classroom
whiteboard.

You might need to do a bit of preliminary image-cleaning, to get
rid of possible "dirt" that may have been picked up by the video,
and possible octave might be useful for that.

According to the web-page (quote above) it supports SVG output
(though I never tried this), but of course in the event of any
problems conversion from PostScript to SVG should be possible
with inkscape.

Ted.

> [remainder snipped]

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>