Re: axis equal help!

From: pathematica
Subject: Re: axis equal help!
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 16:32:32 -0700 (PDT)

bpabbott wrote:

> If I understand what you're trying to do, the problem is having the
> pixels/data appear to be the same for each axis, correct?
>
> Octave currently doesn't have a way of doing this in an automated way for
> 3D.
>
> You can tweak the plot to produce the desired effect by changing its
> vertical size. For output produced by print(), change the figure's 4th
> value of the paperposition property. For the plot displayed in the window,
> change the 4th value of the figure's position property.
>
> Ben

Hi Ben

Thanks, that helped.

In case others have the same problem and want the details, I will report the
results of making changes based on your advice (for others, not for you!)

Using

> get(gca())

I found a parameter called "position" (rather than "paperposition") which is
a 4-vector which was reported as

{
  position =

     0.13000   0.11000   0.77500   0.81500
}

By experimentation, I note that
* the first component determines the leftmost position of the plot
* the second component determines the position of the bottom of the plot
* the third value determines the rightmost position (so I guess it might be
absolute position or the offset from the first component)
* the fourth value determines the position of the top of the plot (ie the
absolute or the offset from the second)

As noted, the original values are shown above

I note that changing them resizes the plot in the X window but the size of
the window is unchanged.

I found that changing the fourth value did stretch the z axis as required
but the top of the plot was lost at the top of the window so I had to reduce
the second component (I guess I might have squashed the first and third
instead)

The values that worked were set as and are as follows (note the changed
second and fourth components, and also that it accepted a negative value)

> set (gca (), "position", [0.13000   -0.05000   0.77500   1.08000])

I presume the same things will happen if I plot to a file.

Thanks again and I apologise in advance if I have transcribed anything
incorrectly (I won't be able to edit!).