Re: intel mkl

From: javaloye
Subject: Re: intel mkl
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 06:58:14 -0700 (PDT)

ALMOST THERE !
As almost everything is working fine now.
Actually, even better than fine as it outperform matlab 7.10 !
Here is the detail of what I have done, hope it helps ...

octave : 3.2.4
System : Ubuntu 10.04 64
intel icc+ifort+mkl installed in /opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/072/

I followed this link to satisfy all octave dependencies
http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?BuildFromSource
(I did not  put any #include "GL/glu.h" in my case anywhere.)

As mentioned above, you could manually install QRupdate from source
but you can also install libqrupdate-dev from synaptics.

I did not used icc nor icpc for compilation since it was creating too many
warnings.
Anyway, I think that the most important thing was to use ifort and mkl to
get a fast linear algebra subsystem.

I put therefore the following flags
export F77=ifort
export FFLAGS="-xT -O2 -funroll-loops"
and configured octave as follow

./configure --prefix=$HOME/myoctave324  --enable-shared --disable-static \
--with-blas='-L/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/072/mkl/lib/em64t/
-I/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/072/include/ -lmkl_intel_lp64 -lmkl_sequential
-lmkl_core -lpthread' \
--with-lapack='-L/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/072/mkl/lib/em64t/
-I/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/072/include/ -lmkl_intel_lp64 -lmkl_sequential
-lmkl_core -lpthread'

Some tests : Matrix multiply, and eig of very large sparse singular nasty
matrices gives identical results either with matlab of with octave.
The performances are quite identical (octave is a bit faster on multiply).

I tried to make check but I get a panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping
myself... when testing the IRAM method eigs. I trace the bug to be maybe
related to qr since test qr gives a bug.

running octave in debug (following this link
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2008-August/010451.html)
gives to me the following message

0x00007ffff4ba1eaa in zdotc_ () from
/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/072/mkl/lib/em64t/libmkl_intel_lp64.so

 So, I guess that my configure is still maybe incorrect.
Any help would be appreciated !

cheers.