Re: run-octave works fine but 'make install' installs older version

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: run-octave works fine but 'make install' installs older version
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:00:44 -0400

On 11-Aug-2010, Judd Storrs wrote:

| On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Tony Lee <address@hidden> wrote:
|
|     $ ldd /data/workspace/tools/octave3.2.4/bin/octave-3.2.4
|         liboctinterp.so => /usr/lib64/octave-2.9.9/liboctinterp.so
|     (0x0000003c95c00000)
|         liboctave.so => /usr/lib64/octave-2.9.9/liboctave.so
|     (0x0000003c94800000)
|         libcruft.so => /usr/lib64/octave-2.9.9/libcruft.so
|     (0x0000003c93400000)
|
| Thanks,
|
| This is sort of strange. I'm not very good at linker games, but this looks
| like a linker problem. I'm surprised linking to the old libraries would work
| (unresolved symbols etc).

It works because the main program is very simple.  Everything is
implemented in liboctinterp, liboctave, libcruft and other dependent
libraries.  So the problem is that your dynamic linker is somehow
finding the old versions of the Octave libraries instead of the new.

Do you have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set in your environment?

What linker commands were used to link Octave 3.2.4?

What does

  ldconfig -p | grep liboctinterp

tell you?

Where are the 3.2.4 libraries installed?

If you don't want Octave 2.9.9 (and I can't imagine why you would now)
then why don't you just remove all traces of it?

jwe