requested size too large for range of Octave's index type

From: Tim Rueth
Subject: requested size too large for range of Octave's index type
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 20:19:30 -0700

I am running a simulation that uses a 6-dimensional ndgrid.  The total number of elements in this matrix is 3,670,016.  Some of the elements are integers, and some are floats, but I don't actually specify whether they're integer or float other than saying 10, or 10.0, for example, when putting numbers in them.  When I try to run this simulation, I get the following error:

"error: memory exhausted or requested size too large for range of Octave's index type -- trying to return to prompt"

I'm running Vista with 4GB of RAM.  Can someone tell me what the "range of Octave's index type" is?  Should I be type-casting these elements somehow so I don't waste memory?  Even for the floats, I never need more than 1 decimal place of accuracy.

Thanks,

--Tim