Re: isa strangeness

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: isa strangeness
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 08:50:51 +0200

Am Montag, 16. August 2010, 08:10:47 schrieb Jaroslav Hajek:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 4:31 AM, Martin Helm <address@hidden> wrote:
> > The help string of isa is not really good here.
> > Use
> > isa(10, "double") or isa(10, 'double')
> > class in isa is expected to be a string here which contains the class
> > name. The reason is the syntax
> > isa(10, double)
> > will treat double as a function call without arguments, which is a syntax
> > error.
> > - mh
>
> On the contrary, I think that the help string is OK, It's just that
> Richard doesn't understand the fundamentals of Octave syntax; but we
> surely can't repeat those in every docstring, can we?

I try to think like someone who  never  has used octave or matlab here (and I
think he mentioned that in an indirect way by stating that he installed
yesterday octave and works through the manual).
And if I read the output of "help isa" it is not clear (for me it was , but
probably simply because I am used to it and never think about that) that CLASS
is a name (in fact looking at the code with "type isa" the same input variable
is called cname in the code which is much more descriptive).

- mh