read only a certain number of lines using textread

From: Tim Rueth
Subject: read only a certain number of lines using textread
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 17:28:10 -0700

I wish to read only a certain number of lines of a text file using textread().  For example, I have an input file:

1    2
3    4
5    6
7    8

Let's say I want to read the first n rows into var1 and var2.  I would say:

[var1 var2] = textread(infile, "%f %f", n);

This doesn't seem to work...textread will read all of the lines into var1 and var2, as if "n" didn't exist.  Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?  (I'm running version 3.2.3 on Vista.)

Also, let's say I have a text string, "foo" at the end of the file, like so:

1    2
3    4
5    6
7    8
foo

If I use textread() to read the first 4 rows into var1 and var2, is there a way to then read "foo" into a string variable?

Thanks,

--Tim