Re: (newer Java package needed?) Implementation of "uicontrol" for lates

From: Pen-Yuan Hsing
Subject: Re: (newer Java package needed?) Implementation of "uicontrol" for latest Octave?
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 11:47:20 -0400

On 2010/08/20 05:41, Martin Helm wrote:
Am Freitag, 20. August 2010, 02:21:21 schrieb Tatsuro MATSUOKA:
Hello

Current situation of Jhandle has been written by Michael as a reply to the
ML topic.

Trouble with jhandles--installation issue?

Thread
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Trouble-with-jhandles-installation-issu
e-tt2317282.html

Point to Michal's reply
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Trouble-with-jhandles-installation-issu
e-td2317282.html#a2320473

AS sentence in the above post
*****
So the bottom line is: current jhandles implementation is not suited for
current octave code. *****

Perhaps this is the reason why the jhandle package is disappeared from the
current octave-forge site.

I am not a Matlab user so that the above is all I can tell you.

Regards

Tatsuro

--- Pen-Yuan Hsing wrote:
Hello,

As a new Octave user, I am trying to get our lab's Matlab graphics
program (in the form of a bunch of .m files) to work in Octave. I loaded
them up and try to run it, but it told me that there is no definition of
the "uicontrol" function.
After some searching, I realised that "uicontrol" might not be
implemented in Octave yet, but there exists the JHandles package that
takes care of it. Unfortunately, I cannot find a place to download this
package anywhere, including Octave Forge. Therefore:

1. Is there a place to download the latest JHandles package?

OR

2. Is there an alternative solution to getting my program to work?

Thank you very much.

P.S. I am running Octave under Mac OS X 10.6.

You can give jhandles 0.3.5 a try if you are working with octave 3.2.4 and the
java-1.2.7 package

http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20Forge%20Packages/R2009-05-08/jhandles-0.3.5.tar.gz/download

I compiled it on my linux machine for 3.2.4 and with that version this
jhandles version works (I have also the development version and 3.3.52 on my
machine but never tried to make it run with the newer versions and I guess it
will not work without changes to the source code).
Since it works on my linux machine but has problems with the same octave
version on windows machines there is no guarantee that it will work on mac.

But maybe it is worth the effort to try this combination.

- mh

Hello again,

I managed to install packages for my 64-bit Mac OS X running latest Octave.app by following the instructions here:

http://www.supermegaultragroovy.com/blog/2009/09/17/installing-octave-packages-in-snow-leopard/

However, when I try to install JHandles, it fails and tells me:

"./configure: line 3366: test: 1.6.0_20: integer expression expected
configure: WARNING: this package requires at least Java-1.5
make: *** [all] Error 255
....."

The Octave Forge website provides Java 1.2.7, is there a place to find a newer Java version >1.5 to make JHandles work?

Thanks!!