Creating a csv with dlmwrite(..., "-append"): column names then data?

From: forkandwait
Subject: Creating a csv with dlmwrite(..., "-append"): column names then data?
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 17:11:55 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all,

If one is creating a csv file and wants a row of column names on top of the
file, separated by delimiters, what is the best way to do it?

For example, a sample desired csv format might have this:

YEAR,CNTY001,CNTY003
1999,1000,1003
1998,987,200

What is the best way to write that top row programmatically?  (I am looping over
a bunch of stuff and want to write a bunch of files.)

If dlmwrite allowed for cell arrays, I would do the following:

dlmwrite("foo.csv", {'YEAR', 'CNTY001', 'CNTY003'});
dlmwrite("foo.csv", matrix_w_data, "-append");

Other approaches include joining a string with commas as separators, monkey
business with sprintf, or??

Thanks!