Re: "make check" fails on imread in octave-3.2.4

From: JohnT
Subject: Re: "make check" fails on imread in octave-3.2.4
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 19:29:16 -0500

 Thomas Weber wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 07:18:10AM -0500, JohnT wrote:
  Why is imread failing and what should I do about it?
Feeding the error message into Google pointed me to (first hit)
http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Semaphore-assertion-failed-in-graphicsmagick-td1674295.html
and from there to
https://www-old.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/octave-maintainers/2010-January/014891.html

So, what version of GraphicsMagick do you have installed? If it's>
1.3.8, you might want to apply
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/octave3.2/3.2.4-6/handle_new_graphicsmagic
to your Octave sources.

Thanks for the links.

I've got GraphicsMagick version 1.3.12 built from source. I'm using Mandriva Free 2008.1 (spring edition) with a number of linear algebra libs from Mandriva. Arpack and GraphicsMagick weren't available from Mandriva so I found source. Arpack96 from the original author
ftp://ftp.caam.rice.edu/pub/software/ARPACK/
doesn't work as it doesn't have a required function. I found another site with a link to a German site (Andreas Kloeckner?) that has an updated source tarball for "auto" build tools.
http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/ARPACK-with-Autotools-Download-46400.html
Finding a new enough arpack is a difficulty for those trying to build from source.

   C compiler:           gcc  -mieee-fp  -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wformat -g -O2
   C++ compiler:         g++  -mieee-fp  -Wall -W -Wshadow
-Wold-style-cast -Wformat -g -O2 -I/usr/include/freetype2
   Fortran compiler:     g77 -O -mieee-fp
This is strange. Why are you using g77 with gcc 4.3?

My gcc , g++ etc is version 4.3.4 built from source with default configuration. One of the first Fortran compilers configure looks for is g77, and the typical way for gfortran to be installed is to include links to it named g77, g95 and f95. Some Fortran source code doesn't even know about gfortran. I've found source on netlib dating back to about 1970.

John

--
http://www.mozilla.org  Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, Seamonkey
all-in-one, Sunbird calendar and more. Free open-source software for Windows,