Re: Adaptive Simulated Annealing (ASA) for octave?

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Adaptive Simulated Annealing (ASA) for octave?
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 09:49:28 -0400

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 9:27 AM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
 In general, I have retained all rights such as copyrights to these
 codes and files, but they may be freely used by any person or group
 independent of affiliations, e.g., independent of academic or
 commercial affiliation.

Huh?  Is there anyone who is allowed to freely use this code?  How many
of us are actually independent of academic or commercial affiliation?
Or am I completely misunderstanding the intent here?

Maybe "independent" is meant in the "notwithstanding" sense here. In any case, that passage doesn't seem to be part of the conditions for using the source code.
I see the license file in two parts: the first seems to specifically apply to use of the source code, and the second seems to be a general license for all material (e.g. documentation).

--judd