Re: What editor to use in combination with octave?

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: What editor to use in combination with octave?
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 11:05:32 +0200

>So it's complicated, as you suspected.  I don't think
>(dare I say this?) Emacs have a terminal emulator.

No, you shouldn't dare :)

Emacs has at least two terminal emulators.  One is called term and the
other is terminal-emulator.  I remember having read about the strengths
and weaknesses of both, but I do not remember the details.  I don't
think they are useful for anything regarding Octave, though.

>> As I used gnome, I have tried "Gedit" and "Geany". These have the more
>> familiar conventions for editing (marking, cutting, copying etc) text which
>> means that they are quicker to learn but I know that users of Emacs and Vim
>> note that they are less flexible.

Emacs can be instructed to use the same conventions as far as the
special keys (Home, End and the like) and the mouse are concerned.  I
suspect the Windows version does this by default, even if I am not sure.
Try pc-selection-mode.  Note however that C-c, C-v and C-x do not change
their behaviour, i.e. you can not use them to cut and copy text.

>I have never really gotten the whole cutting and pasting thing down, or
>having a process that one force-feed through a pipe.  I just write
>scripts and execute them at the octave prompt.

I think this is the best way to go, whichever your environment.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040