RE: Octave compilation with Intel MKL

From: RUSS BRENNAN
Subject: RE: Octave compilation with Intel MKL
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 08:59:25 -0500

I tried this and found that in order to compile with Intels fftw routines you have to hack the configure scripts.  I think if you search the message board archives you'll find my original thread.  Noone else seems to have any experience with it, unfortunately, as I got very little feedback.

I was actually unable to compile octave's dependencies with the Intel compiler, so I abandoned using icc altogether.  However, I was able to use BLAS and LAPACK from MKL.

One thing to watch out for is that the --with-blas= flag will link the MKL libraries into octave but OVERRIDE the fftw3 libraries if you build them separately.  There should probably be a --with-fftw= switch of some sort to clear this up but there is not.

To resolve that, I had to use --with-blas="-lfftw -lfftwf ..." so that the fftw libs would get linked in prior to intel's stuff, which also contains fftw routines.

Good luck, and let us (me) know if you find out anything useful!

~Russell