Re: statistics package

From: jacques.beilin
Subject: Re: statistics package
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 08:06:28 +0100

Le 30/11/2010 16:56, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso a écrit :
On 30 November 2010 04:24, jacques.beilin<address@hidden>  wrote:
I  tried to install octave-forge statistics package 1.0.10 in Octave 3.3.52
(ubuntu).

I have a warning message during package installation :
Are you using packages or are you compiling yourself? I remember
Thomas Weber made experimental packages for 3.3+, but they seem to be
gone from the archives now.

I used the package from Octave-forge web site.
Does anyone knows if there will be a new release of statistics
package or maybe I should use something else ?
You could just use the stable Debian packages... or does 3.2.4 have a
fatal bug for you?

Yes, in september I had some problems with Octave 3.2.4 and I submitted a bug in savanah.

[bug #30920] Octave unable to find user functions after changing directory

A couple of day after, John W Eaton closed the thread because the problem was fixed in developpement sources.

Update of bug #30920 (project octave):

             Open/Closed:                    Open =>  Closed

Follow-up Comment #8:

Likewise, using this recipe I can also reproduce the problem using Octave
3.2.4, but not with the development sources, so I think the problem has been
fixed.

Sorry, I don't know which changeset it is that fixed the problem.  There have
been quite a few changes to load-path.cc...

I'm closing this report since I think the problem is fixed.  If you can
reproduce it with a copy of Octave built from the development sources, then
reopen the bug report.

Alternatively, why not patch the statistics package to use the newer
functions and submit that patch? It should be easy, a simple
search-and-replace might be all that is needed, as well as minor
changes in order to pass the standard deviation instead of the
variance to the function, and removing the functions that have been
moved from the statistics package to core Octave in the development
sources.

Okay, maybe it's more than a few changes, but none of them seem
conceptually complex.

Why not. In fact I'm not very familiar with the procedure.

Jacques

- Jordi G. H.

Beilin Jacques

Département Positionnement Terrestre et Spatial
Ecole Nationale des Sciences Géographiques
Institut Géographique National

Cité Descartes
6,8 avenue Blaise Pascal - Champs Sur Marne
77455 Marne La Vallée Cedex

tel : 01 64 15 31 09 - 06 08 46 68 80

http://www.ensg.ign.fr/Positionnement-Terrestre-et-Spatial-geodesie