Re: dimension slice

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: dimension slice
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 23:50:12 -0600

On 6 January 2011 21:40, Glen Shennan <address@hidden> wrote:
> You mean matrix(1,:,:)   Yes, that worked, cheers.  But is there a way to do
> it in the n-dimensional case?

Flatten it into a normal matrix, perhaps obtained with a Kronecker
(tensor) product and slice it like so?

     a(k:k+1,j:j+1)

in order to get the 2x2 block at the j,k position.

I know what you think you want, but what you really want is this. ;-)

Octave Nd-arrays should be used sparingly. Octave is highly optimised
for ordinary matrices, not Nd-arrays. Okay, maybe Jaroslav optimised
Nd-arrays much more while I wasn't looking, but Nd-arrays of high
dimensionality are still in general somewhat awkward. Stick to normal
matrices.

- Jordi G. H.