.oct function vs external program and text file exchange

From: Daniel Arteaga
Subject: .oct function vs external program and text file exchange
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 13:38:02 +0100

Hi all,

I have an octave program which needs the results of external C++ program, in Linux. For the moment the program is called from inside Octave with the 'system' function, and the communication is done via the exchange of text files. Everything works well.

I'd like to be able to estimate the overhead of the external program call (and writing text files), vs the possible reconversion of the external program to an oct function.

Before starting with the hassle of converting the program to an oct function (my C++ skills are very limited), I'd like to know whether I will get a significant gain.

Thank you in adavance.

Daniel