Re: USING Octave in a commercial environment

From: Luke M
Subject: Re: USING Octave in a commercial environment
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 14:04:57 -0700 (PDT)

Martin Helm wrote:

> I think none of the persons who claim that have ever really read what
> the end user license agreement for the software says. Just tell them to
> read it and there will for sure be a liability exclusion.
> I do not know one single vendor of scientific commercial software which
> takes over the responsibility and liability for damages which come from
> wrong calculations caused by errors in the software they sell.

You know, I thought about that as I was posting, though it had never
occurred to me to question that response before.  The licenses are probably
negotiable, but I did find this in a copy Matlab's license:

"The Programs should not be relied on as the sole basis to solve a problem
or implement a design whose incorrect solution or implementation could
result in injury to person or property."

For our projects nobody is going to do the same expensive analysis twice
using different software.  Further, how would we narrow down the wrong
answer was caused by a Matlab bug?   Given the massively higher likelihood
that it's user error, I can't imagine anybody would go so far in a mishap
investigation.

The manager who provided this response no longer works here, but I'll have
to argue this point next time around.