Re: clf reset

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: clf reset
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 01:36:40 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 6. April 2011, 01:03:12 schrieb Daryl Lee:
> On 4/5/2011 4:22 PM, marco atzeri wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Daryl Lee  wrote:
> >> I am trying to use Octave to learn Matlab, based on the
online text
> >> "Numerical Computing with Matlab", at
> >> http://www.mathworks.com/moler/index_ncm.html.  That
text provides a
> >> "starter kit" of examples in a folder called "ncm".  Many of
the
> >> examples fail because they include lines consisting of "clf
reset".
> >> Octave pukes on the lines, pointing to line 68 in its own
clf.m file.

> >> The simplest script I can think of to reproduce the error
is:

> >> figure(1);
> >> clf reset;
> >> fplot(@sin, [-10, 10]);
> >>
> >> Without the "clf reset;" line, the graph result is as
expected; with it,
> >> I get an error and no graph.
> >>
> >> The error report is:
> >> error: `reset' undefined near line 68 column 5
> >> error:  called from:
> >> error:  C:
\Octave\3.2.4_gcc-4.4.0\share\octave\3.2.4\m\plot\clf.m at

> >>         line 68, column 5
> >>
> >> error:  d:\UNM\MatlabTut\trial02.m at line 2, column 1
> >>
> >> My operating environment is Windows7-64, running
Octave 3.2.4.

> >> So far, this is the only problem I've encountered, but I've
barely
> >> started.
> >>
> >> Since I am a total newbie to Matlab/Octave, I'm sure this is
something
> >> very fundamental that I have missed.  Where should I be
looking to see
> >> what that might be?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Daryl Lee
> >
> > what "help clf" produce ?
> > on octave 3.4.0, clf reset is available:
> >
> > octave:2>  help clf
> > `clf' is a function from the file
/usr/share/octave/3.4.0/m/plot/clf.m

> >   -- Function File:  clf ()
> >   -- Function File:  clf ("reset")
> >   -- Function File:  clf (HFIG)
> >   -- Function File:  clf (HFIG, "reset")
> >
> >       Clear the current figure window.  `clf' operates by
deleting child
> >       graphics objects with visible handles (`handlevisibility' =
on).
> >       If HFIG is specified operate on it instead of the current
figure.
> >       If the optional argument `"reset"' is specified, all objects
> >       including those with hidden handles are deleted.
> >
> > Regards
> > Marco
>
> I get a similar response to "help clf".  And changing 'clf reset'
in the
> three-line script above to 'clf("reset")' changes nothing--I still
get the
> same error.

You are running 3.2 not 3.4. I am afraid this command was not
available in your version.
I checked that in 3.4 also the syntax
clf reset
works. I would say simply remove the reset and simply call clf
without option if it is not possible to update.