using xlswrite csvwrite

From: senator
Subject: using xlswrite csvwrite
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 06:16:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hey,
I cant find some of the messages that were on this site Friday, I think the
site was down and some must have got deleted. There was a message where
someone described what I needed to download to be able to use xlsread and
xlswrite.  I need to uninstall and then reinstall octave with java,io
package, windows and maybe something else... There was a very detailed
message describing even what java packages i need to install in order to use
xls read and write.

I need to be able to write and read csv files and csv write and read do work
great for me as long as I dont write any text to the file.   I would like to
be able to find a way to put a field column on the top of my data in a csv
file. It works great writing the data to a csv file, but i want to be able
to write the field row on the top row in text. In matlab it works by doing
2 seperate csv writes (one for data and one for text). I dont know if that
would work however because octave seems to erase everything else in a file
before it writes.

I dont know if xlswrite will let me write to a csv file, but if it does
getting xlswrite to work could solve my problem.

thanks