Linking to external static (!) library

From: TOT
Subject: Linking to external static (!) library
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 10:23:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hi everyone.
There is a big static C library (several lib*.a files). It contains
references to MPI library (I'm not sure how)
There is one header file (c*.h), containing several other header files and
so on.
This library compiled using gcc (compatible with octave).

Lets assume that in the library "myopen" function exists. I want to call it
in the octave and return the value of it (say 1 if everything is OK and -1
on error).

I'm tying to use OCT files, but I end up with an error from ld: "recompile
with -fPIC".
The library is huge, makefiles are huge and -fPIC option to be placed in too
many places, so I don't want to do this.

Two questions:

Is there any way to link to this library (via tweaking mkoctfile or by other
means, but not recompiling the library)?

Is it the same for matlab?

Regards,
Anar.

-----