Re: Reading xls(x)-files into Octave

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Reading xls(x)-files into Octave
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 16:35:07 +0200

Martin Helm wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 26. Mai 2011, 23:28:28 schrieb Philip Nienhuis:

 > But if you insist in going the hard way (no joking, I've done it myself

 > several times), before attempting to install the Java pkg, be sure to

 > 1. Have a Java JDK installed (a JRE is OK for working with a pre-compiled

 > Java package, but insufficient for compiling it);

 > 2. Let Octave know where to find the JDK, e.g.:

 > Octave > setenv ("JAVA_HOME", "C:/Java/jdk1.6.0_20")

 > ## (use FORWARD slashes, also on Windows)

I was a bit short on words then I answered to the original post due to a
lack of time. Sorry for that, usually I try to go more into detail.

Yep, that's why I jumped in.... :-)

I am afraid even the two points above will not be enough (but are of
course needed). Last time I tried on a windows machine I had to tweak
something manually to succeed (I just forgot what, my main operating
system is linux).

??

In a "plain vanilla" Octave installation the two points I mentioned (i.e., JDK presence & setenv() call) should really suffice.

But... the Java package's installation messages are not always helpful when problems occur. E.g., on one of my own Windows boxes I could never get it installed (the only relevant "informative" message being: "Java support not compiled"), while installing the same package version went flawlessly on many other Windows & Linux boxes, even with the same Octave & Java versions. Only after I had completely reinstalled (that is, uninstalled and updated) the Java JDK itself I could get past this problem. I could never pinpoint the exact cause; but obviously registry corruption, hard disk read errors and/or fubarred Java dev tool files come to mind.

Nevertheless, having tried on my own boxes and in heavily regulated corporate IT settings as well, I can only say that the two prerequisites I mentioned always proved sufficient to get the Java pkg installed in Octave, at least on healthy systems.

Philip