Re: Help with Excel IO - Ecel/COM not working, no Java support found

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: Help with Excel IO - Ecel/COM not working, no Java support found
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 15:10:59 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 7. Juli 2011, 14:50:07 schrieb Martin Helm:
> Am Donnerstag, 7. Juli 2011, 14:38:25 schrieb Jim McF:
> > "If you can use octave 3.2.4 on MinGW, it includes pre-build io-1.0.11. "
> >
> > I tried that prior to going to 3.4.0.
> >
> > I got the error:`xlsread' undefined. (see below)
>
> What is the output of
> pkg list
> on this 3.2.4 installation?

The most simple solution is to run the installer again, there is a step in the
installer where you are asked to select the packages from octave-forge you
want to have. By default nothing is selected. You can select all of them BUT
not oct2mat, since this can lead to trouble with plotting - do not select it
or unselect it if it is ticked by accident.
After that check with "pkg list" in octave which packages are available, if a
package has no * at its name it is not loaded and you can load it manually
with (for example)
pkg load java
to load the java package.
After the package is loaded the functions in it are available.