Re: Testing binaries of octave for windows (MinGW32) is updated

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Testing binaries of octave for windows (MinGW32) is updated
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 07:22:14 +0900 (JST)

Hello

--- On Tue, 2011/7/19, Uwe Brauer wrote:

> >> Regarding Testing binaries of octave for windows (MinGW32) is updated;
> >> Tatsuro MATSUOKA <address@hidden> adds:
>
>    > Hello
>    > I have updated the testing binaries of octave for windows (MinGW32).
>
>    > http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/octave/Eng/Win
> Thanks very much for this.
>
> I tried to install and use it and run into a couple of difficulties.
>
>     -  is it too much to ask to add an installer like the
>        official octave ships?

Sorry I have no time to learn about windows installer.

>     -  I am asking this not merely because of convenience
>        but because I am not sure that I installed it
>        properly. I just unzippened and tried to use the
>        binary found in the bin directory.
>
>     -  I wanted to use your octave version with some GUI
>        fontend (at the end I have use octave for a course,
>        and the students would appreciate very much a GUI fontend)

In my idea, this binary is prepared for testing purpose for power users but not
prepared for productive and educational use.  But you can use it for the other
purpose at your own risk.

>     -  I found 2, namely qtoctave (which is also available
>        for Linux) http://qtoctave.wordpress.com/download/
>
>     -  and GUI Octave
>        http://sites.google.com/site/guioctave/download
>
> While I can both GUI connect to octave3.2.4 by setting the
> path in their corresponding configuration, I can't do the
> same for you version. I will write the GUI authors but I
> would like to know, is there anything I oversaw in the
> installation?

I have described customization of SciTE editor for octave script execution.
http://www.tatsuromatsuoka.com/octave/Eng/Win/SciTECustomizeForOctave/SciTECustomizeForOctave.html

Perhaps you can use it for octave-3.4.2 after some modifications.

I do not use GUI for octave (Qt-octave etcs.) so that I do not know my binary
can be used in such GUI programs.

Regards

Tatsuro