Re: Compile issues: error: your Fortran compiler must have an option to

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Compile issues: error: your Fortran compiler must have an option to make integers the same size as octave_idx_type (int).
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:12:00 -0400

On Aug 31, 2011, at 3:45 AM, Stephen Wilson wrote:

> Hi Ben,
>
> I have been able to install octave-devel via MacPorts. It appears to run from
> the terminal. What benefits (if any) would I gain from compiling the sources
> again and how would I go about doing it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen

Ok, that's good news. Before worrying about the developers sources, you'll want
to add some additional ports.

        sudo port install epstool pstoedit transfig fltk-devel
        sudo port activate qhull @2010.1_3

If the "activate" doesn't work, they try ...

        sudo port install qhull @2010.1_3
        sudo port activate qhull @2010.1_3

And then rebuild octave (so that it will use qhull and fltk).

        sudo port upgrade -f octave-devel

This will ensure your Octave is fully functional.

The benefit, of using the developer's sources, is you'd be able to contribute
to Octave's development.

If you are interested, go to the link below ....

        http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html

... and scroll down to, and follow, the instructions under Development Sources.

When you have a local copy of the sources you'll be able to compile by ...

        cd "path to your copy of the sources"

        ./autogen.sh
        export PREFIX=/opt/local
        export CC=/opt/local/bin/gcc-mp-4.4
        export CXX=/opt/local/bin/g++-mp-4.4
        export CXXCPP="/opt/local/bin/g++-mp-4.4 -E"
        export F77=/opt/local/bin/gfortran-mp-4.4
        export FC=/opt/local/bin/gfortran-mp-4.4
        export CXXFLAGS="-pipe -O2 -m64"
        export FFLAGS="$CXXFLAGS -D_THREAD_SAFE -pthread"
        export CFLAGS="$FFLAGS -lstdc++"
        export LDFLAGS=-L$PREFIX/lib
        export CPPFLAGS=-I$PREFIX/include
        export BLAS_LIBS="-lcblas -lf77blas -latlas"
        export LAPACK_LIBS=-llapack

        ./configure --prefix="/opt/local" --without-framework-carbon --with-x \
                            --with-cholmod="-lcholmod -lmetis"

Once that is done, I recommend you *not* install Octave since MacPorts will be
unable to uninstall it later. However, you can still run the developers version
by typing ./run-octave from the directory containing the sources.

Ben