Octave 3.4.2 execution problems Linux PowerPC

From: csimarro
Subject: Octave 3.4.2 execution problems Linux PowerPC
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 23:25:48 -0700 (PDT)

Dear All,

I am trying to perform a clean installation from the sources in our cluster,
which architecture is PowerPC with Linux.

GCC - 4.4.0
BLAS
LAPACK - 3.2.1
FFTW - 3.2.1

As soon as I am able to install octave, I want to add the octcdf module to
work with NETCDF files.

My first compilation was clean, setting the libraries an so on:

./configure --prefix=... --with-blas... --enable-docs=no --enable-shared

But I am getting this strange error messages
configure: WARNING: You used --enable-dl but not --enable-shared.
configure: WARNING: Are you sure that is what you want to do?

And it compiles successfully. The problem is that if I want to execute
./run-octave to test the compilation, I am getting this error:

error: `lookup' undefined near line 103 column 12
error: called from:
error:   /.../octave-3.4.2/installation/../scripts/set/ismember.m at line
103, column 10
[...]

So I decided to compile it without shared libraries support
"--enable-shared=no --enable-dl=no --enable-static". In this case octave
seems to work properly, but I am not able to load the netcdf.oct file
generated by mkoctfile. It complains about: "no api for dynamic loading is
available".

I tried to link it statically when compiling octave, but unsuccessfully.

Have you seen this kind of behaviour before? Is there a way to link static
octave with an external module in octave compilation time?

Thanks,
Christian