Re: format compact and loose

From: Zbigniew Komarnicki
Subject: Re: format compact and loose
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 13:58:27 +0200

On Monday 05 of September 2011 13:01:51 you wrote:

> Did you think that the ans(:,:,3) marks meant "column number labels"?
> The column number labels are printed when there are more columns than
> can fit in the width of your screen. Do rand(12,2) to see the
> difference between compact and loose.
>
> How can the help string better explain the meaning of "column number
> labels"?

Thank you. I'm sorry you are right. I thinking about 'format compact' as is
done in matlab. I'm sorry, I wrong understand the text "column number labels".

So is there any possibility to obtain result similar as in matlab, i.e. the
result will more compact when we use e.g.

octave:5> rand(2, 3, 3)
ans =

ans(:,:,1) =

   0.602732   0.212420   0.216894
   0.515855   0.749427   0.053278

ans(:,:,2) =

   0.24050   0.13761   0.79709
   0.84495   0.77959   0.94395

ans(:,:,3) =

   0.16946   0.54929   0.15251
   0.78924   0.86582   0.20346

to obtain something like this:

octave:5> rand(2, 3, 3)
ans =
ans(:,:,1) =
   0.602732   0.212420   0.216894
   0.515855   0.749427   0.053278
ans(:,:,2) =
   0.24050   0.13761   0.79709
   0.84495   0.77959   0.94395
ans(:,:,3) =
   0.16946   0.54929   0.15251
   0.78924   0.86582   0.20346

Is this currently possible or there should be introduce change in source code
in Octave to obtain such 'compact result' ?

Thank you.

> - Jordi G. H.

Zbigniew