Re: data acquisition tool box for octave?

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: data acquisition tool box for octave?
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 18:13:34 +0100

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 5:54 PM, Rick T <address@hidden> wrote:
> I checked that first and it doesn't support my National Instruments USB-
> 6008 ;-(
>
> Thanks
>

> On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> You should definitely check comedi.
>> http://comedi.org/
>>
>> But I wouldn't know if it can handle your hardware.
>>

>> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 3:38 AM, Rick T <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > Greetings All
>> >
>> > I went to see if there was a data acquisition tool box for octave here
>> > but
>> > couldn't find one http://octave.sourceforge.net/packages.php
>> >
>> > What I'm trying to do is use my National Instruments USB-6008
>> > to acquire data in octave.  I would like to be able to export data to a
>> > text
>> > file in the format of
>> >
>> > year,month,day,hour,minute,second,voltage.
>> >

>> > so the text file would take a reading every second and the text file
>> > will
>> > have the following data inside it
>> >
>> > 11182011054735,3.3V
>> >
>> > 11182011054736,3.9V
>> >
>> > 11182011054737,3.1V
>> >

>> > I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 Linux 64bit and a 32bit version for testing in
>> > virtual box
>> >
>> > Can Octave do this? Are there any examples or can someone recommend
>> > something else if octave can't
>> >
>> > Thanks

>> --
>> M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
>> -----
>> PhD Student
>> University of Zürich
>> http://ailab.ifi.uzh.ch/carbajal/

You can try to contact that community they have been always very
responsive. Also, depends on what you want (1 measurement per second
is not very demanding, you can use synchronous polling) to do but
sometimes you can use other driver to drive your hardware...you loose
some functionality.
Anyway, I guess the main issue may be USB.

At our lab we use comedi and we always buy the DAQCard-6* series. I
know some guys around did a USB-to-PCMCIA thingy to use other cards,
but I wouldn't be able to help you with that.

Can you get drivers for linux from the vendor?

--
M. Sc. Juan Pablo Carbajal
-----