Re: FYI: FreeMat 4.1 includes Octavee Integration

From: c.
Subject: Re: FYI: FreeMat 4.1 includes Octavee Integration
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 08:55:53 +0100

On 3 Dec 2011, at 03:11, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have heard that FreeMat 4.1 includes Octave Integration.
>
> http://freemat.sourceforge.net/#news
>
> I have not tried yet so that I do not know the Octave Integration in detail.
>
> Regards
>
> Tatsuro

Intersting ...
It does not yet seem to work properly though:

freemat:
--> a=[1:10](1:2:end)(2:3)
Error: Unexpected input

Octave:
>> a=[1:10](1:2:end)(2:3)
a =
   3   5

BTW freemat now includes parts of Octave into its binary distribution, e.g.

http://freemat.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/freemat/trunk/FreeMat/toolbox/specfun/%2Boctave/

but it appears freemat is GPLv2 [1] while Octave is GPLv3 are these compatible?
the FAQ at FSF says:
"When we say that GPLv2 and GPLv3 are incompatible, it means there is no legal
way to combine code under GPLv2 with code under GPLv3"

c.

[1] I'm not sure whether it is "GPLv2 only" or "GPLv2 or later":

- the copyright statements in the code are simply like this

% Copyright (c) 2002-2007 Samit Basu 2
% Licensed under the GPL

- the binary distribution does not include any COPYING file

- the file COPYING in the source tree contains version 2 of the GPL