Re: lsode question

From: dogan_79
Subject: Re: lsode question
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 02:15:08 -0800 (PST)

Thank you very much for the nice answers, but I am still uncertain about some
things as I am newbie to Octave.

My physical problem is to solve the differential equation describing the
motion of a point mass inside a spherical bowl which is also subjected to
surface friction with the bowl. The friction constant is constant (mu in the
code.) What is interesting about this problem is to see the effect of the
initial velocity (as the friction will also depend on increasing velocity
via centripetal force) So we were discussing the situation with some
collegues and none of us had a intuitive feeling about the difference in
motion if we threw or released the mass initially.

So I started looking diff. eq. solvers on the web, I had very little
experience with Octave before. For the answers first Juan how do I not
specify the discretization and let lsode do it itself?

Thomas, 3.2 is actually system dependent and the pi thing might just be a
coincidence. I plotted the velocity also and it seems that the "problem
point" is where the mass comes to its first stop. Yes, it is a critical
point but how do I get around with this, I want to monitor at least a few
periods of the system. Should I do it piecewise and how? Technical help is
the most I need with this as you may understand...

Thank you very much again... You guys are doing great job...
Cheers from Turkey,
Dogan